Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Stand.

Stand.

A dear friend of mine recently brought up some doubts and views on Feminism, regarding women and the priesthood in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - The Church that both she and I are members of. This is quite a big deal for some women in The Church right now and even though their numbers are few, their voices are loud.

It's hard for me to understand this viewpoint because I've never felt suppressed as a woman in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. If anything, I feel more valued as a woman, wife and mother in The Church than in any other area of my life. Our priesthood leaders are always so aware of the women and, I feel, esteem women greatly for our roles and what we can contribute to our families, wards and communities.

This recent conversation and sort of secondhand-witnessing (through Facebook) the inactivity of some other once strong, faithful members in The Church (our dear friends from college) has shaken my own personal testimony a bit.

I always thought the hardest time of my life for being a member of The Church (because that's what I know) would be my teenage/high school years. I am quickly learning, however, that that just isn't so. It's not that uneducated (in the way of The Church) friends are in my face taunting or pressuring to do things they know I don't do, but instead it's members - friends who are supposedly on my same team - who are making me question my beliefs. ...Because if these good-standing members of The Church are questioning and not agreeing with certain church-related issues or doctrine, than why shouldn't I?

It can really mess with one's head. I've stopped following a couple friends on Facebook because their posts were all becoming more and more adrift from Church standards and viewpoints. Reading things like that over and over was draining me - spiritually.

As sad as it makes me to see this happen to dear friends, I can't help but be grateful that I'm able to recognize it and reassess where I stand and just exactly what I believe in.

I know we have a prophet on earth today who receives direction for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through our Father in Heaven. The direction he receives and then informs members of The Church is what we need to know for our day and time now. It won't be the same as when The Church first started, and it will probably change in the future. That doesn't mean that certain principles and doctrinal points should be questioned, but that there is safety in following the prophet and trusting that all things will be set in their own due time. I know that men and women have separate roles - specifically that men hold the priesthood power and women the power to bear children - but that doesn't mean we are not equal. We have a Savior who sacrificed His life for us. When we are feeling empty and hollowed out, He can fill us and help us feel whole again.

 "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith."

No comments:

Post a Comment